Tuesday 22 July 2008

'Making Pictures with Fabric' workshop with Janet Bolton


I haven’t managed to add anything to my blog for a while, a combination of lack of energy and inspiration, the end of my Artist’s Way course and the group we were going to form fizzling out immediately, and a much needed trip to Spain to celebrate my father’s 80th birthday. All of which has interrupted my creative momentum. But last Saturday I treated myself to a on day workshop with textile artist Janet Bolton. A series of synchronicities led me to the college hosting the workshop – West Dean College, housed in a magnificent mansion, which is a set in beautiful gardens near Chichester, West Sussex. I was really excited about the course, as Janet Bolton is one of my favourite textile artists; her quirky, naïve embroidered pieces reflecting everyday country life are delightful. However I was so excited I couldn’t sleep the night before and the long drive to West Dean left me exhausted before I’d even started.

Luckily Janet is a very experienced and enthusiastic teacher and I learnt a lot in one day. She was trained as a fine artist so pays a huge amount of attention to colour and composition whereas I think my talents are more concerned with decoration. I started a piece inspired by a photo of the pavement. It’s still a work in progress but this is how far I got during the workshop:

2 comments:

Eva said...

What a clever way to use the vintage parts of this piece! I love the (ever so slight) ironic touch.

Emma Parker said...

it's beautiful! i love it....

where did you do your artists way course, i have been tinkering around with that book for years but never really doing it...maybe a course would help?